Tuesday 3 January 2012

Carrot, Pineapple and Coconut Cake


The ingredients of this recipe impressed me and the fact that this cake would taste different made me try it. I was watching a food show on the television and I saw this cake being made. I forgot to record the exact measurements of the ingredients  and decided to follow my instinct. In fact, measuring the ingredients is an important task in baking and I was a little nervous about how the cake would finally turn .

I have used fresh ingredients wherever possible. Fresh carrots  and pineapple in grated form are used. Fresh coconut could not be used because of the presence of excess moisture in them. Desicated coconut is used instead. As a nutritionist, I have always encouraged the use of whole wheat flour instead of the bleached refined flour. This way the cake is healthy except for the calories for the weight-watchers.In this cake, although I have used whole wheat flour (sieved a couple of times) members can use refined flour if they wish to make this cake more fluffier.

The cake can be stored in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. The ingredients given below are sufficient for a large cake baked in a round tin of 8 inch diameter. I believe in baking  a large cake as the process is tedious and the cake would serve as a desert for some days and not finish in just one serving!


Ingredients
Sieved whole wheat flour or refined flour-200 gms
Powdered sugar-275 gms
4 eggs
Butter -150 gms
Carrots grated -1/2 cup
Pineapple chopped fine – ½ cup
Desicated coconut- 50 gms
Cinnamon powder_ ½ tsp
Cardamom Powder - 1/2 tsp
Baking Powder- ½ tsp

Method
Preheat the oven to 180 deg C. Grease and dust a cake and line with butter paper.

In a bowl beat the eggs till light and add the butter. Continue beating the eggs and add the powdered sugar. Add the carrots, pineapple and the coconut and mix well. Sieve the flour well along with the baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the bowl one spoon at a time and fold the mixture. Add all the flour and prepare the cake batter. Pour it into the cake tin and bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes or till a skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean.

I usually do not decorate cakes as we find it too yummy to wait! Well this cake can be decorated with whipped cream and cherries. Celebrate occasions with this delightful fruity-veggie variation.

No comments:

Post a Comment